There’s more soccer in the Southeast!
A new-look, North Carolina-heavy UPSL Mid-Atlantic Division is back under way for the spring, and there already figures to be a lot of talent and excitement featured all season long.
Before we get any further, don’t forget to take a look at our other Monday morning power rankings posts while you’re here! Week 2’s rankings have just been released from the UPSL Georgia Division.
In any case, let’s take a look at how the first weekend of the Mid-Atlantic panned out.
- Charleston United, +0 from last week. Beating defending champions Soda City is very significant. United came close to beating them in the Mid-Atlantic finals last year, but they avenged their loss this weekend and proved they’ll be ready if and when they get another shot at representing the conference in the national finals.
- Combine Rush, +0 from last week. Combine is a youth academy located about an hour north of Charlotte that runs 9-12 grades and is now fielding a UPSL side at the top. They had a great start to the season, beating fellow UPSL newbies Queen City FC by a convincing 3-0 scoreline.
- Soda City FC, +0 from last week. They would have loved a victory over Charleston, but that 3-2 decision they dropped is not a shameful loss by any stretch. If they don’t drop points against the rest of the league too often, they’ll still find themselves in contention for the top spot in all likelihood.
- Lobos FC, +0 from last week. They haven’t played yet, but I expect them to compete hotly for the title.
- SC Heat, +0 from last week. Heat seems to be the new moniker for what was previously known as SC United Bantams, or it’s a member of the same umbrella at the very least. They lived up to their name against new foes Myrtle Beach FC, bringing the heat and keeping a clean sheet in a 2-0 win.
- San Lee FC, +0 from last week. It’s hard to tell exactly how good that 1-0 win over Charlotte United will end up looking when the season ends, but no matter what, an opening day win away from home is a good thing. They’ll feel good about their chances of fighting for a top spot in the table.
- Moros FC, +0 from last week. Moros tend to paint a picture of inconsistency, so we’ll see if they can win regularly this spring.
- Myrtle Beach FC, +0 from last week. The beach boys traveled away from home for their first-ever UPSL match against good opposition, so the conditions were against them earning their first win. They should be the most optimistic of the four losing teams this weekend.
- Charlotte United, +0 from last week. File a scoreless loss at home in the “not what we love to see” cabinet for United. We at smallworld are stanning the Charlotte clubs here, and so far, that’s not going great for us. United will need to pick things up in the attack if they want a top-half spot.
- Queen City FC, +0 from last week. Their 3-0 loss was good for the worst loss of the weekend, and that’s never an award you want to be receiving. Queen City have work to do on both sides of the ball to stay competitive in this league.
Here’s what the table shows after a week of action:
- Combine Rush, 3 pts, +3 GD. Form: —-W
- SC Heat, 3 pts, +2 GD. Form: —-W
- Charleston United, 3 pts, +1 GD. Form: —-W
- San Lee FC, 3 pts, +1 GD. Form: —-W
- Lobos FC, 0 pts, 0 GD. Form: —–
- Moros FC, 0 pts, 0 GD. Form: —–
- Soda City FC, 0 pts, -1 GD. Form: —-L
- Charlotte United, 0 pts, -1 GD. Form: —-L
- Myrtle Beach FC, 0 pts, -2 GD. Form: —-L
- Queen City FC, 0 pts, -3 GD. Form: —-L
Let’s have a look at the upcoming fixtures, all in eastern time:
- 8) Myrtle Beach v 9) Charlotte, 3.27, TBD
A great chance for both these teams to climb out of the hole from opening weekend. Myrtle Beach will defend home territory and pull out a 2-0 win.
- 7) Moros v 2) Rush, 3.27, 2 PM
Moros will have a tough task on their hands in their season opener. Rush will continue their winning ways against a much better opponent, eking out a 3-2 victory away from home.
- 6) San Lee v 1) Charleston, 3.27, 3 PM
San Lee are a good side, and smallworld loves them, but Charleston will win if they play at their best. 2-0 for United.
- 4) Lobos v 5) SC Heat, 3.27, 6 PM
Lobos will look to get their season started in a solid way, but the Heat looked great in their opening win. I’ll go with a 2-2 draw here.
- 3) Soda City v 10) Queen City, 3.27, 7 PM
I would be shocked to see Soda City lose a second straight in this contest. 5-0 for the defending champs.
That’s all from the Carolinas this week! Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to check out this week’s power rankings on the Georgia Division as well.
If you like hearing more in-depth analysis of matches like these, we have a weekly podcast called smallworld scoresheet that does the job every Wednesday morning! You can listen here.
Stay weird and support local soccer!