SC Heat are scorching the division, but outside of that, it’s a wide-open group.
We had a barnburner, a defensive battle, and everything in between in a busy week in the Carolinas, so let’s get straight to it!
- SC Heat, +0 from last week (W 2-1 over Soda City). Soda City have struggled all season, but it’s still a win that further proves Heat are for real. They’ve beat prestigious and bottom-tier teams alike so far, and there’s no reason to believe they won’t continue to do so for the rest of the season.
- Moros FC, +0 from last week ( D 4-4 with Queen City). This wasn’t a good performance from Moros, even if Queen City are an underrated team. Moros are starting to look like a team that can’t defend for a full 90 minutes, and against a top team, they’d have been punished and come away with nothing. Their fellow title challengers failed to capitalize, so they stay in second for now, but they’re definitely not playing like a top-two lock right now.
- Charlotte United, +3 from last week (W 1-0 over Combine Rush). Charlotte continues their climb up the table after a clean sheet against Combine. They’ve yet to face many of the league’s best teams, but that early win over Myrtle Beach looks better and better by the week. Their only loss thus far is a respectable 1-0 defeat to San Lee, so they have the record to indicate they can challenge for a top three position when the dust settles.
- San Lee FC, +1 from last week (W 3-0 over Lobos). As expected, the Lobos match got San Lee back on track and came at a good time. The Sanford outfit needed this momentum boost after a tough loss to a surging Myrtle Beach side. They’ll hope to keep the win streak going over the next couple of weeks and reestablish themselves at the top of the table. Other teams are certainly leaving the door open for them to do so.
- Charleston United, -2 from last week (L 1-3 to Myrtle Beach). That’s two straight poor performances from Charleston. They’re nowhere near title-winning form, and this new-look division has proven that any team in the league can make you pay if you don’t bring your A game. Charleston didn’t for the second match on the bounce, and they drop more points as a result.
- Myrtle Beach FC, +1 from last week (W 3-1 over Charleston). After losing their first two, Myrtle Beach are looking like a proper side now. They have two straight high-quality wins on their resume against San Lee and Charleston, and if they keep this form up, they could genuinely find themselves in the top three.
- Combine Rush, -3 from last week (L 0-1 to Charlotte). The loss to Charlotte isn’t looking too bad as of now, but that’s three straight without a win for Rush. Their only win is over Queen City, and they need another one in the win tally in the worst way.
- Queen City FC, +0 from last week (D 4-4 with Moros). For the second weekend in a row, Queen City will feel good about their performance against a top team, but only take away a point from each game. If they continue this level of play, they should add a few wins to their tally, but until they do, they’re still in a tough position points-wise after a rough start to the season.
- Soda City FC, +0 from last week (L 1-2 to SC Heat). It’s quickly going from bad to worse for Soda City. They just can’t get a positive result at the moment, and they’re running out of time to start making up ground on the rest of the league. A bottom-half finish isn’t out of the question right now.
- Lobos FC, +0 from last week (L 0-3 to San Lee). Unfortunately for Lobos, they won’t be getting many closer results than this one. They simply aren’t competitive in this league.
Let’s try and make sense of all that movement with a look at the current league table.
- SC Heat – 12 pts, +11 GD. Form: -WWWW
- Charlotte United – 9 pts, +5 GD. Form: -LWWW
- San Lee FC – 7 pts, +3 GD. Form: -WDLW
- Myrtle Beach FC – 6 pts, 0 GD. Form: -LLWW
- Moros FC – 5 pts, +1 GD. Form: –DWD
- Charleston United – 5 pts, -1 GD. Form: -WDDL
- Combine Rush – 4 pts, +1 GD. Form: -WDLL
- Queen City FC – 3 pts, -3 GD. Form: -LDDD
- Soda City FC – 1 pt, -3 GD. Form: -LDLL
- Lobos FC – 0 pts, -14 GD. Form: –LLL
A lot of parity between the two states, as South Carolina claims first and fourth place, while their northern neighbors are home to the other three in the top five.
next week’s fixtures
5) Charleston v 2) Moros
9) Soda City v 7) Combine Rush
8) Queen City v 1) SC Heat
6) Myrtle Beach v 10) Lobos
Lots of storylines to keep track of here. Charleston look to get back on track against a solid Moros side, Soda City and Combine Rush meet in a clash of teams who desperately need wins, and Queen City will look to continue their run of competitive games against the best teams in the league.
Stay weird and support local soccer!