The match we were looking forward to the most didn’t happen, but it was still an exciting week of fixtures in Tennessee.
While Pumas FC’s home tilt with Bowling Green didn’t take place in Mayfield, KY this Friday, we still had three interesting league matches in Nashville that further solidified the dominance of one team and gave another their first-ever win.
With that, let’s have a look at this week’s power rankings:
- Music City SC, +0 from last week (W 5-0 over USC). The Nashville-based side keeps making sweet music this season, extending their win streak in a relatively modest 5-0 win over quite possibly the worst team in the entirety of the UPSL, USC Revolution. Music City probably could have scored more, but a clean sheet is always nice and they’ve still taken maximum points from all of their matches to date.
- Bowling Green FC, +0 from last week (no match). How we wish we could have seen their away match with Pumas. Danny himself traveled to this one only to see the match postponed due to weather. The Golden Lions have to wait to put their perfect streak on the line again, but until then, it’s hard to argue with them being in the top two.
- AFC 615, +0 from last week (W 3-1 over We United). After an opening-day loss, AFC are back on track. They’ve got two straight wins over teams they would have expected to beat, and that’s what you have to do in order to stay competitive in any league. They’ve got bonafide competition in both Music City and Bowling Green, so they’ll need to stay in this vein of form to keep the pace.
- Pumas Premier, +0 from last week (no match). As previously mentioned, the scheduled match for Pumas didn’t take place. The crowd that the home side drew for a stormy evening, though, was more than impressive and makes these guys look like one of the best-supported UPSL clubs around. They’ll look to give those fans something to get excited about next week to make up for the lost match this week.
- Saints FC, +0 from last week (W 1-0 over 615 Heroes). This is proof that Saints aren’t a fluke. They were competitive with Music City last week in their first-ever UPSL match, and now they’ve got three points to their name. Playing AFC’s first team might be a different story, but even they couldn’t grab a clean sheet against their reserve team like Saints have just done. We could see these guys give top teams like AFC and BGFC a run for their money and steal some points.
- We United, +1 from last week (L 1-3 to AFC 615). AFC isn’t a bad loss at all, and despite the fact that they still haven’t won yet, they’ve only played difficult opposition so far. Matches against bottom-tier teams later on in the season will unveil how competitive this team truly is in a battle for mid-table.
- 615 Heroes, -1 from last week (L 0-1 to Saints). Saints might just be a quality side, but failing to score in a winnable match is concerning for Heroes. They’re continuing to struggle, and the fixtures will get harder for them as well.
- USC Revolution, +0 from last week (L 0-5 to Music City). It’s bad when I see this scoreline and think it’s a surprisingly positive one for USC. I’ll leave it at that.
With that in mind, here’s a look at the league standings.
- Music City SC – 9 pts, +8 GD. Form: –WWW
- Bowling Green FC – 6 pts, +3 GD. Form: —WW
- AFC 615 – 6 pts, +2 GD. Form: –LWW
- Pumas Premier – 3 pts, +5 GD. Form: —-W
- Saints FC – 3 pts, -1 GD. Form: —LW
- We United – 0 pts, -3 GD. Form: —LL
- 615 Heroes – 0 pts, -4 GD. Form: –LLL
- USC Revolution – 0 pts, -10 GD. Form: —LL
next week’s matches
1 ) Music City v 7) Heroes
5) Saints v 6) We United
4) Pumas v 3) AFC
2) Bowling Green v 8) USC
Pumas get another shot at hosting a match this weekend, and that should be a blockbuster as they face a fellow title contender. That one should be available on MyCujoo at 8 PM Eastern on Saturday, April 17.
Until next week, thanks for reading! Stay weird and support local soccer!