Welcome back to power rankings!
The Mid-South division kicked off with a crucial top-two match that shaped what the last few matches of the season will look like, but there was exciting action across the board.
Here’s where the power rankings stand with just a few fixtures remaining for each team.
- Bowling Green FC, +1 from last week (W 3-1 over Pumas). That was a crucial victory at home, but the tough matches don’t end for the Golden Lions. They’ve still got to play Pumas away, AFC away, and Music City at home. It’s no guarantee they’ll top the division, but these three points against Pumas were a big step to making that a reality.
- Pumas Premier, -1 from last week (L 1-3 to Bowling Green). Pumas suffer their first loss this season against a worthy in-state opponent, but they still have five matches to play in the next two weeks, including another one against Bowling Green. If they win out, they still have a good chance at the title.
- Music City SC, +0 from last week (W 11-0 over United). They couldn’t even count their goals correctly, and that’s a good sign that they’re scoring well. They’re going to need a lot of help to get back in the title race, but that’s how you take care of your own business as you hope for other results to pan out.
- We United FC, +1 from last week (W 4-0 over AFC). Well, We United have well and truly earned the top four spot they were chasing for a while. That was a big win over AFC for positioning reasons, and it might just see them into the Divisional Cup between the Expeditions and the Georgia divisions in July. After some of their bigger results this year, they deserve to be there. Five wins on the bounce is impressive indeed!
- AFC 615, -1 from last week (L 0-4 to We United). It’s just not gone the way of Desmond Armstrong and his men this season. They’ve got a lot of talent, but they haven’t shown it in the right moments this season. It’s not looking like they’ll even find the top half of the table at this point.
- Saints FC, +0 from last week (W 2-1 over Heroes). Saints get an in-city victory to stop the bleeding of a tough run of form, and they’re likely headed for another rough patch with a tough group of fixtures ahead.
- United Revolution, +0 from last week (L 0-11 to Music City). Oof.
- 615 Heroes, +0 from last week (L 1-2 to Saints). This was their last half-chance at points from this season, and they weren’t far away. They couldn’t get a second goal, though, and that most likely destines them to a fruitless spring season.
- Music City SC – 18 pts, +23 GD. Form: WLLWW
- Bowling Green FC – 18 pts, +22 GD. Form: WWWWW
- We United FC – 15 pts, +13 GD. Form: WWWWW
- Pumas Premier – 12 pts, +12 GD. Form: WWWWL
- AFC 615 – 9 pts, +1 GD. Form: LLWLL
- Saints FC – 6 pts, -16 GD. Form: WLLLW
- United Revolution – 3 pts, -37 GD. Form: LWLLL
- 615 Heroes – 0 pts, -18 GD. Form: LLLLL
Well, some top-heavy points totals and goal differentials to say the least. Let’s have a look at what’s next in our penultimate week of regular-season action:
next week’s matches
2) Pumas v 6) Saints [midweek]
5) AFC v 1) Bowling Green
6) Saints v 3) Music City
8) Heroes v 4) We United
2) Pumas v 8) United
2) Pumas v 1) Bowling Green
Not the best timing for Pumas, as they’ll get their opportunity for revenge in what will be their second matchup in two days and their third in five. Also, AFC will look to trip up BGFC’s title race at home in northern Nashville.
That’s all for this week. See you next time with more UPSL Mid-south action!
Stay weird and support local soccer!