It’s time for some WoSo in our weekly power rankings, and for that, we’re adding the Southeast Conference of the WPSL!
Six clubs from three deep southern states make up the Southeast, and it’s mostly made up of returnees from two summers ago. As you can see from our preseason power rankings in January 2020, not much has changed in this division as far as who’s participating.
That said, we’re learning a lot about these teams and what they’re capable of in these first few weeks of the season. A couple of my hometowns have representatives in the running here, so let the somewhat biased rankings and analysis begin!
For those who aren’t familiar with the format, each power rankings post will feature a ranking of each club with reasoning and analysis of their performance during the week, the current table, and the matches to be played in the coming week.
- Nashville Rhythm, +0 from last week (W 5-1 over MOBA AND 4-1 over SSA). After a pair of strong victories against MOBA and SSA, the Rhythm are riding some excellent momentum into the final match before the halfway point in their regular season. The only team they’ve yet to play is a middling Red Wolves side, and they’ve won every game thus far. Alabama FC has been their biggest test to date, so that’ll be a reverse fixture that could very well unseat them from their present throne.
- Alabama FC, +0 from last week (W 2-0 over Red Wolves). Alabama looks very much like the second-best team in the Southeast. They’ve surpassed my expectations in a big way and improved greatly on their 2019 performance. Their only blemish is a 1-0 defeat to Rhythm, and they’ll have a chance to make amends when the two sides play again. they’re taking care of business against everyone else, which sets up a two-horse race for the title so far.
- SSA Kings, +0 from last week (L 1-4 to Rhythm). The Kings’ maiden voyage in WPSL looks pretty solid after two outings. They were outclassed by Rhythm like everyone else has been, but they’re also a clear step above MOBA after their opening win over the Peachtree City side by the same scoreline. For now, their closest competition seems to be the battle for third place with Chattanooga.
- Chattanooga Red Wolves, +0 from last week (L 0-2 to Alabama AND W 4-0 over NASC). The Red Wolves have been more or less average early on, but a loss to Alabama is respectable this year. They’ll definitely want to add more wins to their resume than the two victories over NASC, but they’ve got plenty of time to do just that after only three matches completed.
- Peachtree City MOBA, +0 from last week (L 1-5 to Rhythm). MOBA’s run of form is over as quickly as it began. Last week, they took down North Alabama for the season’s first win, but they’re back to old habits this week in a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of the conference’s best. They’ll look to turn the tide of momentum next week, but they just don’t look like they’re at the level of most teams in the league this year.
- North Alabama SC, +0 from last week (L 0-4 to Red Wolves). This season paints a bleak picture for a club who hasn’t scored in four matches this season. NASC will feel more or less content with their defensive efforts, only conceding once in two of their past three matches. The lack of goals is a big concern, though, and they’ll obviously be looking to turn that around going forward.
Keep in mind that there’s no national playoff structure for the WPSL, so the winner of the regular season is the conference champion and achieves the highest honor that’s being handed out this summer.
Now, here’s the current standings.
- Nashville Rhythm – 12 pts, +9 GD. Form: -WWWW
- Alabama FC – 9 pts, +7 GD. Form: -WLWW
- Chattanooga Red Wolves – 6 pts, +5 GD. Form: –WLW
- SSA Kings – 3 pts, +0 GD. Form: —WL
- Peachtree City MOBA – 3 pts, -9 GD. Form: -LLWL
- North Alabama SC – 0 pts, -12 GD. Form: LLLLL
Let’s see what’s on tap for the coming week in conference play!
next week’s matches
2) Alabama v 1) Rhythm
Prediction: AFC 2 – 2 Rhythm
4) Red Wolves v 5) MOBA
Prediction: CRW 3 – 1 MOBA
6) North Alabama v 3) Kings
Prediction: NASC 0 – 4 SSA
2) Alabama v 5) MOBA
Prediction: AFC 1 – 0 MOBA
1 ) Rhythm v 4) Red Wolves
Prediction: Rhythm 2 – 1 CRW
That’s it for this week’s coverage. Be sure to check out our power rankings on the NPSL Southeast and USL League Two South Atlantic regions every Monday morning as well!
Stay weird and support local soccer!