In a week where Georgia Storm and Appalachian FC had a golden opportunity to make up some ground on first-place Georgia Revolution, their respective weekend performances were a bit underwhelming.
With this in mind, the Revs are almost surely headed for a regular-season title. The biggest race to keep an aye on here is the top four, the cutoff for the divisional playoffs.
Let’s see where things are at in the power rankings after the seventh week of the season.
- Georgia Revolution, +0 from last week (W 2-0 over Appalachian). The Revs continue to roll through the regular season in an overdue year of success. Quelling any potential first-place challenge from the Boone-based team, Revolution should feel confident about their top-seed status for the playoffs. They’ve now collected five clean sheets from seven matches and look like one of the best defensive sides in the entire NPSL.
- Georgia Storm, +0 from last week (D 0-0 with Appalachian AND L 0-2 to North Alabama). It was a disappointing couple of days for Storm after they were unable to score in 180 crucial minutes of the season. They could have really cemented second place and made one last run at a title with two wins from these two matches, but now, they’ll have to be content with fighting for second.
- Appalachian FC, +0 from last week (D 0-0 with Storm AND L 0-2 to Revs). This weekend could have been much better than it was for Appalachian. They played the two toughest teams in the division, but both matches were chances to make up ground on the only teams ahead of them. Now they’re back in the mire of the top four fight to ensure they make the playoffs in year one.
- North Alabama SC, +2 from last week (W 2-0 over Storm). What a home performance from the Huntsville club to get back into the thick of the playoff zone. They’ve still got the toughest schedule remaining of anybody, with Revolution, Storm, and Appalachian all still on the calendar. This type of performance makes it seem like they can take points from those matches, though, and if they can even find two wins in those four, they’ll be set up perfectly for a playoff berth.
- Metro Louisville, -1 from last week (no match). Metro had a week off, and aside from North Alabama’s stock being raised, it’s probably a net positive weekend for them considering Appalachian failed to move up at all. Third and fourth are certainly open for the taking from Louisville’s perspective.
- LSA Athletico Lanier, -1 from last week (no match). After a strong weekend for North Alabama, LSA are back to being bottom of the barrel in the division. They’ll look to change that in a bid to win a second straight when they face Metro this upcoming weekend.
- Georgia Revolution FC – 19 pts, +14 GD. Form: WWWDW
- Georgia Storm SA – 11 pts, +2 GD. Form: WWDDL
- Appalachian FC – 7 pts, -1 GD. Form: DDWDL
- North Alabama SC – 7 pts, -1 GD. Form: LLDLW
- Metro Louisville FC – 4 pts, -5 GD. Form: DWLLL
- LSA Athletico Lanier – 4 pts, -9 GD. Form: LLDLW
There’s exciting stuff on the horizon for the coming week as well, with all six clubs back in action.
next week’s fixtures
3) Appalachian v 4) North Alabama
Prediction: APP 1 – 1 NASC
6) LSA v 5) Metro
Prediction: LSA 2 – 2 LOU
1 ) Revs v 5) Metro
Prediction: GAR 1 – 0 LOU
2) Storm v 4) North Alabama
Prediction: GAS 2 – 0 NASC
It’s a crucial week for Metro as they look to get back into the top four, and North Alabama will similarly look to hold onto the fourth spot they already hold. Each of those two have a double this weekend.
Thanks for reading and see you next week. Be sure to support local soccer!