Our league leaders continue to dominate for the time being!
Nashville Rhythm beat their biggest competition this week and stay atop the power rankings as a result. Let’s see how things are shaking out just past halfway through the season.
- Nashville Rhythm, +0 from last week (W 2-1 over Alabama AND D 0-0 with Red Wolves). It didn’t always look that way, but Rhythm were the best team on the night and that’s been the case all season. Alabama were at their best this weekend and scored first in Murfreesboro, but Nashville equalized through Peyton DePriest by halftime and found the winner when Sandra Jakobsen chipped the keeper. They did fail to win for the first time all season in a goalless draw with Chattanooga, but they’re still undefeated and clearly the league’s best. There should be no looking back for Rhythm as they push on to officially clinch the title!
- Alabama FC, +0 from last week (L 1-2 to Rhythm AND D 1-1 with MOBA). It was an unfortunate result, but a valiant effort from AFC and proof that Alabama are right there with Nashville in quality. They’ll stay vigilant for a chance to make up some ground if Rhythm slip up, but that seems unlikely for now. Then they grabbed a consolation point against MOBA, but in all honesty, that should have been a three-point outing. Alabama are still strongly in the running for second.
- Chattanooga Red Wolves, +1 from last week (W 2-0 over MOBA AND D 0-0 with Rhythm). The Red Wolves got the job done against a weak opponent, and that’s what’s required of them in a league with two dominant forces. The home win sees them control their own destiny for second place as they draw level with Alabama on points and ahead of them on goal difference. As an added bonus, they grabbed a key clean sheet and point against a dominant Rhythm team. They could very well push on for second from here, as they’ve got plenty of matches in hand.
- SSA Kings, -1 from last week (D 1-1 with North Alabama). In a match that had a bit of everything, Kings held on to escape with an away point after going down a player with 15 minutes to go. Positive results are a must in the battle for third and potentially even second, and that’s a great example of a good result from a tough match.
- Peachtree City MOBA, +0 from last week (L 0-2 to Red Wolves AND D 1-1 with Alabama). The Red Wolves were much better on the night, and MOBA continue to struggle. They’ve now lost to both third and fourth place, and that doesn’t bode well for them getting out of the bottom two. They did get a strong result against Alabama, which is a step in the right direction.
- North Alabama SC, +0 from last week (D 1-1 with Kings). Don’t get us wrong, this first point of the season for the Huntsville club is a step in the right direction. They need a few more positive steps, though, as they’ve dug a big hole for themselves in the table.
Here’s how the table shapes up this week:
- Nashville Rhythm – 16 pts, +10 GD. Form: WWWWD
- Chattanooga Red Wolves – 10 pts, +7 GD. Form: WLWWD
- Alabama FC – 10 pts, +6 GD. Form: LWWLD
- SSA Kings – 4 pts, +0 GD. Form: –WLD
- Peachtree City MOBA – 4 pts, -11 GD. Form: LWLLD
- North Alabama SC – 1 pt, -12 GD. Form: LLLLD
Now, let’s see what to expect for the coming week.
next week’s fixtures
4) Kings v 6) North Alabama
Prediction: SSA 3 – 1 NASC
1 ) Rhythm v 6) North Alabama
Prediction: NRFC 4 – 0 NASC
2) Alabama v 4) Kings
Prediction: AFC 2 – 1 SSA
5) MOBA v 3) Red Wolves
Prediction: MOBA 0 – 1 CRW
Rhythm can get one step closer to clinching the title with a win over North Alabama, while the race for second should continue to heat up between Alabama and Chattanooga. That’s all coming up this weekend!
Thanks for reading and support local soccer!